Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Congrats to Theatre N, who had an absolutely packed house for Monday afternoon's showing of Midnight In Paris.

If it's not obvious by now, I'm a big fan of Theatre N and I want people to patronize it.  I do not work for the City of Wilmington, I do not volunteer there (I'd like to, but I always get hung up on the thought: what if I don't get along with one of the other volunteers, and then have to avoid the place?)

Being a Theatre N cheerleader, I was thrilled to see a long line of people waiting to see a movie on Monday.  Even better, a lot of them were younger, under the age of 40.  Usually it's mostly a retired crowd, plus me and my man and maybe one or two other young-ish couples.  Don't get me wrong: I'm glad the seniors, at least, are supporting this place, but I always lament the fact that there aren't many younger people in this city who give a damn about independent theater.  I don't mean to say that I wish this city was filled with pretentious snobs like certain other cities are.  Definitely not.  But come on, give me a few young people who would rather see an arthouse film than play beer pong in Trolley Square!

But this packed showing made me wonder if word is finally getting out about this theatre to people more my age with an interest in culture.  Or will they only come out for blockbusters like Midnight In Paris (Woody Allen's highest-grossing film so far)?  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment