Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Just another Tuesday morning rant about the lack of musical diversity in Delaware shows

Sometimes I feel like it's really hard to find music playing in Delaware and nearby PA that doesn't fall into one of three categories: adult contemporary (world music, vanilla-lite or generally over-produced singer/songwriters, country crossover), reggae/rock/funk/jam band (oh my God there are so many of them around here), or hardcore. 

Most of the time I end up publicizing these concerts, simply because I can't *only* publicize the (usually more interesing) Philly shows, and also because I allow that there is room for that type of music.  I'm not hating on those sounds.  I just wish it wasn't every weekend in every club that I'm trying to help promote.  Like The Grand Opera House, World Cafe Live at the Queen Theatre, Kennett Flash, Mojo 13, Mojo Main, and Logan House.  Even my personal favorite, Arden Gild Hall, leans towards adult contemporary world music, but in their case that really is their core fanbase, and even so, they at least try to mix in equal amounts of indie rock and indie folk.

I just feel like clubs around here are geared towards two demographics: the middle-aged with safe tastes (I'm not being ageist, I'll be in that category in a scant handful of years myself), or college kids/recent grads whose preferences don't go beyond "give me a beat I can dance to or thrash to!"   I understand that part of the challenge is just drawing good bands here.  More interesting shows *do* happen from time to time, but more often than not the band in question is trying to play in all 50-states.  I wish that weren't the main reason, but I guess we'll take what we can get. 

I guess I've just had several weekends in a row where I've looked at my listings and thought "Gee, a gentle singer-songwriter at the Kennett Flash.  Wow, funk jam band at Mojo Main or Logan House.  World music at the Queen.  Some 70's band doing a nostalgia tour at the Grand.   Oo, some band with a name like Skull Abortion at Mojo 13.  Local band that plays almost every weekend at any available festival".  There needs to be more diversity out of those specific genres.  I know there *is* more diversity sometimes; I just wish it was more frequent.  The music calendars of certain clubs are becoming very predictable to me, having put together my lists for the past year-and-a-half. 

Part of it is also probably lack of an audience.  I know there are promoters trying to bring more outside-of-the-box music here, and I know there is an audience for it, but I get the feeling this group doesn't go to many shows.  There is a "scene", I've seen it.  But it's small, and not very active.  So, in a way, who can blame the local clubs for going back to the same stand-bys that have sold tickets in the past?  How do you build that scene of people willing to go out on a Tuesday night for an interesting show that's not the usual safe bet?  I'm trying to help by promoting the hell out of those odd shows when I see them, but I don't know if anyone has ever actually gone to a show on my recommendation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment