Tuesday, November 15, 2011

And the exploitation of the 'Occupy' concept for marketing purposes continues.

This time Wilmington councilwoman Loretta Walsh thinks we should have buttons, like the current "IN Wilmington" buttons, that say "Occupied IN Wilmington".  From the News Journal:

Wilmington Councilwoman Loretta Walsh let her disappoint with John Rago, director of communications and policy development for Mayor James M. Baker, be known this Friday in an email to him and other council members.
“John, you have fallen down on your job. I for one am very disappointed. If you have actually done this already but I just don’t know about it then forgive me………………where is my IN with Occupy Wilmington button?”
Wilmington may not have an Occupy Delaware “IN” slogan yet, but creative minds with nothing better to do think it might look something like this:
[Insert hastily made graphic of the IN Wilmington button with the word Occupied pasted on the top].
Link: http://blogs.delawareonline.com/dialoguedelaware/?p=3647

*Sigh*.

I'm not even an 'occupier'.  I'm not close to anyone who is.  I have decidedly mixed feelings about the whole thing.  But shouldn't we wait until after the protestors have packed up and gone home and aren't getting themselves hurt and arrested before we start attempting jokes about using the phrase in ad campaigns?  That's the first problem I have with this. 

The second problem is something I've long been uneasy about - that arts development in this city is being driven by city council and corporate marketing experts, in the absence of actual grass roots or youth movements.  But that is a discussion for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment