Friday, May 6, 2011

This weekend, 5/6 - 5/9:

Friday:


Saturday:

  • Gilbert & Sullivan's "Gondoliers" at Arden's Gild Hall.
  • Cubane at Mojo Main.
  • Q&A with producer after 8pm showing of Lebanon, PA at Theatre N
  • The Sisters 3 cd release show at Johnny Brenda's
  • Smoking Popes at the North Star

Sunday:

  • Point-to-Point at Winterthur

A word on what I cover here:  Obviously, this will never be completely inclusive.  This is partially owing to taste, and partially owing to time.  I'm speaking to people of certain leanings, and I have no incentive to try to please as many people as possible - I'm doing this for fun and because I want to draw attention to organizations I like.  Time-wise, I only have so much time to visit various event calendars online.  Just to give you an idea of what I look at when I assemble this list - it's not bars in Manayunk.  It's not bars that exclusively feature cover bands (though, believe me, I have nothing but respect for cover bands and can't stand it when lousy original bands feel superior to good cover musicians).   Venues I do try to glance at each week are: The Queen Theatre, Mojo Main, Logan House, Theatre N, Bellefonte Cafe, Grand Opera House, Kennett Flash, Johnny Brenda's, Kung Fu Necktie, TLA, First Unitarian Church, Danger Danger Gallery, Tritone, and North Star Bar.  (I do pay attention to Mojo 13, but they've really gone hardcore lately and that's not something I'll cover).  Despite there being a lot of Philly venues in there (just because there are so many more), I'm trying to keep a good balance of Delaware listings and Philly listings.   As time allows, I'll be adding to this list, of course, especially in areas south of Wilmington since I have north pretty well covered.

And I may not have mentioned your band or venue, either because I ran out of time or it's not something I would personally attend, but feel free to post a brief mention of your event if you feel people should know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment