Monday, May 9, 2011

Websites we like: stream new albums from major indie bands on an NPR site.

Currently at this 'First Listen' site, you can stream new albums from Fleet Foxes, Okkervil River, Raphael Sadiq, Danger Mouse (with guest vocalists Jack White and Norah Jones), Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, and a few lesser known artists that are doubtlessly worth a try if this site picked them.   A few are added each week, and they're only available for a couple of weeks, so you should check back a couple of times a month.

http://www.npr.org/series/98679384/first-listen

I'm listening to the Fleet Foxes album as a write this.  I like it.  But sometimes I wish I could hear the singer's vocals without the reverby "I'm singing in a cathedral" effects.  Do those voices have the same power if you hear them raw?  That probably falls under the category of questions that shouldn't be asked, since they probably perform live with the same effects. 

Okay, here's a little tasteful violin use, which I don't remember being part of their last album's sound.  The album seems to be more laid-back than the last, overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment