Friday, July 15, 2011

This weekend, 7/15-7/17

Non-music:

Friday:


  • American Craft Beer competition and tasting at the Queen, 5:30pm.  That sound you hear is the sound of my jaw hitting the floor: tickets are $40!  Wow.  I was thinking $5, $10, maybe $15 at the most.  I'd have to drink a whole lot of firkins for that to be worth my while.  So I guess I'm posting this for the benefit of beer lovers who aren't poor.  Le sigh.

Saturday:


  • Tip-A-Canoe, the yearly canoe trip / barbecue / barn dance / fundraiser put on by the Young Friends of the Brandywine.  This year's musical guest is once again Hoots and Hellmouth.  http://www.youngfriends.org/

  • Peek A Boo Revue (burlesque troupe from Philly) at The Queen.  8pm, $24.

Sunday:


----------------------------------

Music:

Friday:

  • Free noon show at The Queen with Aaron Nathans (hmm - I thought he played last week.  Either I made a mistake or they changed their website). 

  • Gomez with Philly up-and-comers Good Old War at the TLA.  21+, doors at 8, $29.

  • Baby Flamehead (featuring Dean from The Dead Milkmen). Opening bands include one "featuring Rodney from The Dead Milkmen" (yes, it made me laugh, too).  21+, show at 9, $10.

  • Animus (who played in Arden this spring) bringing their Middle-Eastern vibe to the Queen, 8:30pm.   Am I seeing this right that tickets are only $7?  That's oddly cheap for the Queen.

Saturday:

  • Villains Like You and Robot House at Mojo Main.  21+, doors at 9, $5.

Sunday:

  • Cass McCombs at Johnny Brenda's.  21+, doors at 8, $12-$13.

  • San Francisco-based Roma/"Gypsy" band Rupa and The April Fishes, at The North Star Bar. They're touring to raise money to fight "increasingly racist" anti-Roma legislation in Europe.  You know, I have mixed feelings about the whole "plight of the Roma people" thing.  The outside-the-law lifestyle that has given the Roma the reputation that they have is still very much going on today.  And it's not a few errant individuals.  I cannot muster as much sympathy, therefore, as others seem to be able to.  But you can't argue that the music and musicianship in that culture is usually outstanding.  The show is 21+, show at 8pm, $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment